Thursday, August 18, 2005

Quiet day at home today

Gave Dennis the car today so that I don't get tempted to go out. Wanted to have a quiet day at home and catch up with a few things:
housework...so far only managed to hang out the washing and burn a pot of broccoli. I thought I could smell something but had totally forgotten that I had put on some broccoli to steam. Was so engrossed in translating! Now the whole house stinks.
blogging....as usual..always do the things I like to do first so find that a couple of hours have gone translating a few more of dad's emails. They are very funny to read in german because he mixes up his words with english german and platt. And there are a lot of german/platt sayings that are difficult to find equivalent sayings for in english.
We have had an ongoing battle with a company who delivered a skip almost 2 weeks ago. One of the tradesmen hired it. And it was a very large one and had been filled far too hight. I have called the company 4 times to get it picked up and each time they claimed they had already picked it up. It was standing right in front of our side fence and meant the drive way was out of action for the entire time. I was getting fed up with carrying the shopping in from the street and was starting to think about what else I could do to get rid of it. Well..this morning it has finally been picked up! With all the stuff in it. Mario had stashed our old linen cupboard onto it as well and I was afraid the driver was going to leave half of the junk behind.
I have Dad's old computer here and have backed up everything from his hard disk. Our Peter is getting the PC so he can play some of his old games. But it has been configured with XP and Windows 98 so it has taken me some time to get the PC sorted out. Now I have everything copied and deleted all Dad's files so hopefully getting it converted to Windows 98 is not too much of a hassle. That's the next task for today.
And then I am installing a PC for Melissa and Haylee.
So that should keep me out of trouble today. Any spare time I have will be spent getting a few more things onto ebay! (sorry Pete)
Must dash!

2 Comments:

Blogger Inge said...

Hi Pete, Was wondering if someone would see it!
I have seen the actual photo at Mum's. She must have scanned it with her scanner. Found the picture in one of the Hedwig backup directories on Dad's old PC.
Thought it was a fitting photo given the title of her blog!

10:31 pm  
Blogger Inge said...

by the way..the photo was taken in Southampton, UK.

10:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home