Saturday, August 20, 2005

Dad's emails

As I mentioned in a footnote in Dad's last story, the emails in the first 6 months of 2000 were all about Dad's stories. He was so engrossed that the characters seemed to become real to him. I am amazed at how much work Harald put into editing and correcting his German and giving him feedback on his stories. He was also working on English versions but had problems because of his style of English. When he rights in german it is lighthearted and fun to read. His English is a bit more formal and doesn't flow as well.
In his emails he is constantly referring to people which I am assuming are all characters in his book or stories. And he seemed to be massproducing these! So it is quite difficult to wade through it all and extract what is relevant to what I am trying to achieve with his blog. Which is basically to paint a picture of Dad, his life and his beliefs/attitudes. Eventually I want to put them into a book form with photos and also with Harald's emails. Have just emailed Harald to ask for permission and if Harald is interested in helping with this.
I will have a look at his actual stories later and work out if these too can be published.
Now must get dressed and do something away from this PC :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Inge said...

Yes I can well imagine Peter. I think he didn't pick them up again either.
He asked Dennis and I to help him at one stage but we just didn't have the time then. He was probably better off sticking to writing in german..especially the way he also adds colloquialisms and platt deutsch. Gives the story much more colour.
Love, Inge.

12:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home