Tuesday, August 23, 2005

ebay overload

Last night was the night where almost all of my listed items came to the auction end. So some of you can imagine how busy that made me. Some sold. But quite a number had to relist. So before venturing down that track I did some analysis as to how I am going…am I in infront or what. Downloaded the ebay transactions from my sellers site and manipulated them in Excel, added the final sale price to see what profit I have made. Well…at least I am making some profit. Despite the huge number of items I had to relist. Taking into consideration that I have deducted the cost of all my listed items (currently 28 are listed) it is amazing that I am ahead by $171.00. Especially considering that some of the books are selling for peanuts. Of course the encyclopedia is responsible for a big portion of that but still. So far have sold 17 items. And like I said…28 still listed.

I made the mistake of thinking that relisting was free…found out that it is not. Not quite as costly as listing the first time but ebay still slog you. So when you think about it, ebay are making quite a killing. Fees look small but everything adds up. I have so far paid ebay $61.85 in fees. But the people who are realling making a fortune are Australia Post. If you consider that each of the 17 items I sold have to be posted at either $4.50 (for items below 500 gr) or $8.10 you can see how much Australia Post are earning with all this! The postage doesn’t impact my profit because it is added to each item and paid for by the buyer. But is quite a deterrent when people are buying books. Even if the book is cheap….the postage still has to be added.

 

1 Comments:

Blogger Inge said...

I know how you feel Pete. I am the same. Glad you enjoy his emails.
Love, Inge.

9:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home